OUR MUSEUM

TIMELINE

1881

Tun Phu, founder of the Patpong dynasty, is born in Hainan, China. His family moves to Siam (Thailand).

1900

Tun Phu changes his name to Poon Pat and marries in Bangkok.

1916

Birth of the fourth child of Poon Pat, a son called Udom.

1921

Poon Pat co-founds Siam Cement.

1930

King Prajadhipok of Thailand bestows an honorary title to Poon Pat, who becomes Luang Patpongpanich.

1933

Udom attends the London School of Economics and later the University of Minnesota.

1945

Udom Patpongpanich receives training by the OSS first at Fort Benning in Georgia and later in Sri Lanka by Jim Thompson before being deployed to Thailand.

1946

The Patponpanich family buys a banana plantation with a teak villa on the edge of Bangkok for 3000 US Dollars – Patpong.

1950

Luang Patpongpanich passes away. Udom inserts the family business and starts constructing shophouses in the area.

1950

Udom persuades major foreign companies to move into the Patpong area. Caltex, Shell, Air France are just some of them.

1950

Mizu kitchen, Patpong’s first restaurant, opens.

1950

the Plaza hotel is built, Bangkok’s first Hotel with hot water, air conditioning and international telephone line in each and every of its rooms.

1951

Jim Thompson founds the Thai Silk Company right across Patpong road.

 

1958

Tony Poe (Anthony A. Poshepny), from Long Beach,Ca. joins SEA Supply, a CIA front company operating out of Patpong, Bangkok, supplying arms to Chinese Kuomintang Nationalists in Burma.

1959

Tony Poe is awarded the Intelligence Star medal for his training and inspiration of Asian paramilitary troops.

1964

Patpong becomes the Central Business District of Bangkok – by day. By night, it morphs into an entertainment district

1965

The Vietnam war results in the first American soldiers coming to bangkok for R+R Air America and other CIA operations set up shop in Patpaong.

1966

Rick Menard leaves the US military after fighting in Vietnam and moves to Thailand, where he is introduced to Udom Patpongpanich.

1969

The Madrid bar opens, quickly becoming a favorite haunt of Air America pilots.

1969

Tony Poe is training Hmong tribesmen to fight the Nort Vietnamese and Pathet Lao. Starts cutting off ears of killed combatants.

1969

Rick Menard opens the Grand Prix Lounge + Bar as a sports bar with dancers in Patpong – Bangkok’s (and Asia’s) first Go-Go Bar.

1970

Air America (allegedly) helps smuggle opium out of Laos. Tony Poe, disillusioned, is extracted from Laos and stays in Thailand, to train more fighters.

1972

The Mississippi Queen Go-Go Bar opens in Patpong, followed by many others in short time.

1972

Patpong spills from Patpong Soi 1 (today’s market) to Patpong Soi 2. The upstairs bars start offering naughtier shows, including nudity – and soon more.

1972

People from all around the world start coming to Patpong, among them many celebrities.

1974

Tony Poe retires and stays in Thailand with his Hmong wife. His story becomes part of the Colonel Kurtz character in “Apocalypse Now”.

1978

Patpong features prominently in the Oscar-winning movie “The Deer Hunter”. All street signs were painted over in Vietnamese for the shoot of the famous bar scene in the “Mississippi Queen”.

1983

David Bowie visits Bangkok to hold a concert. He films his entire “Ricochet” video in the Superstar Go-Go bar in Patpong, and also seem to have got lost in the cheers of Patpong for a while.

1988

Jean Claude Van Damme films the intro for his “Kickboxer” movie on Patpong Road.

1989

The musical “Miss Saigon” is released.

1991

The Night Market opens up on the sidewalks during the evening and night hours on Patpong Soi 1.

2003

Parts of the movie “Beautiful Boxer” about the transgender kickboxing (Muay Thai) champion Parinya Charoenphol are filmed in Patpong.

2004

Patpong becomes one (of three) designated “entertainment zones” in Bangkok, allowing its bars to stay open longer.

2011

The opening sequence for the documentary “Whores Glory” by Michael Glawogger is filmed in Black Pagoda.

2019

The Patpong Museum opens its doors, celebrating the long history of one of Thailand’s most iconic places.